Dark Chocolate and Cherry Cream Cheese Brownies
Experiment with different fruits in the cream cheese layer of this delicious brownie recipe. Most types of berries would work equally well, and perhaps even pie cherries with just a bit of extra sugar.
Cherry Cream Cheese:
• 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
• 1 egg
• 2 cups pitted sweet cherries
• 2 tablespoons cornstarch
• 6 tablespoons butter
• 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
• 2/3 cup sugar
• 2 eggs
• 1/2 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
• 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease 9-inch-square cake pan; set aside.
2. To make Cherry Cream Cheese: In food processor, purée cream cheese, egg, cherries and cornstarch; set aside.
3. To make Brownie Batter: In double boiler, melt together butter and chocolate; set aside.
4. In large bowl, beat together sugar and eggs until emulsified. Add chocolate mixture, beating until thoroughly combined. Stir in flour and cocoa, and mix well.
5. Pour batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly. Pour cream cheese purée over brownie layer. Swirl gently with butter knife.
6. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until tester inserted in center comes out clean.
7. Remove from oven and cool completely on wire rack before cutting into bars.
Need more chocolate? Check out Chocolate Dessert Recipes for All Tastes.
Kathie N. Lapcevic is a writer and teacher who specializes in garden, food and recipe creation. She blogs at Homespun Seasonal Living and, when not working, can be found playing in the great outdoors of northwest Montana.