• 1/2 cup sugar
• 3 tablespoons cornstarch
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 2-1/2 cups milk
• 3 eggs yolks, slightly beaten
• 1 cup flaked coconut, divided
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• 1 9-inch pie crust, baked
• Whipped cream
1. In 2-quart saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt, and heat over medium heat. Gradually stir in milk until smooth.
2. Stir in egg yolks, and bring mixture to boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat, and stir in 3⁄4 cup coconut and vanilla.
3. Carefully pour hot mixture into prepared pie crust. Cover surface with plastic wrap, and cool completely on wire rack.
4. Toast remaining coconut, and set aside to cool completely.
5. When filling is completely cool, spread whipped cream over top, and sprinkle with toasted coconut. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.