• 2-1/3 cups sugar, divided
• 1/3 cup lard
• 3 eggs, beaten
• 1 cup buttermilk
• 1 cup blackberries
• 2 cups flour
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 teaspoon ground cloves
• 1 teaspoon ground allspice
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1 cup chopped nuts
• 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese
• 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour 9-by-13-inch cake pan; set aside.
2. In large bowl, cream 1-1⁄3 cups sugar with lard. Add eggs, buttermilk and blackberries, and stir to combine.
3. In another bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cloves, allspice and cinnamon, and whisk to blend. Stir into creamed mixture, mixing well. Fold in nuts.
4. Pour batter into prepared cake pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan.
5. In large mixing bowl, mix remaining sugar and cream cheese with hand mixer until fluffy. Add whipped topping, and mix gently to combine. Spread on cooled cake.
Find more nut-enriched recipes here: Nut Recipes for the Country Kitchen.