I used Mara Des Bois strawberries to make this decadent jam. Waiting until peak season, you get a jam that is dark red and canned at the perfect time. Can't get that from any store bought kind. Enjoy!
Makes 9 pint jars.
7 cups sugar
5 cups thawed, blended strawberries (about 8 cups whole)
4 Tbls. Fresh squeezed lemon
1 package powdered fruit pectin
1. Run sink full of HOT water (you can even boil water and add to the sinks hot water). Bath your jars in the hot water. Leave them in there till they are ready to be filled.
2. Place lids not rings in small sauce pan with water. Put on stove low-medium heat. Do not boil. Keep on low- medium heat until ready to use.
3. Measure sugar, set aside in separate bowl.
4. Wash and hull strawberries (if you buy frozen from grocery store, this part is done for you). Place into a blender and blend to your liking. I personally do not like big chunks in my jam.
5. Transfer 5 cups crushed or blended berries into a large stainless steal saucepan. Start a large pot of boiling water.
6. Add lemon juice to strawberries. Whisk in pectin until dissolved. Bring to a full boil stir often. Add pre-measured sugar. Stir stir stir. Return to a full boil that you cannot stir down. Boil hard 1 minute. Remove from heat, skim off top foam. Keep this. It is awesome to use right away on a piece of toast etc.
7. Remove jars from hot water in the sink- do not dry. Fill jars 1/2" from the top. Take the lids from the hot water saucepan and place on top of each jar. Lightly tighten ring around lid. Lower jars into large pot of boiling water with canning tongs. Bring back to a boil- time 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, take off heat. Wait 5 minutes. Take out of hot water bath. Place on the counter and let set for 24 hours before use. Store and enjoy throughout the year!