June 29, 2010, Hazelton, PA – Many Americans spend the entire spring cleaning, nurturing, and preparing their backyards only to surrender their outdoor living space to those pesky summertime interlopers - mosquitoes!! It's time to take action with a few simple pest control steps.
With a worldwide population of 100 trillion, mosquitoes will be ever-present this summer, and many will live and breed around homes just to be near us. Garden.com Vice President Paul Ambrose explains, “Mosquitoes are not only a nuisance but also a serious health hazard transmitting a variety of diseases including the West Nile Virus.”
Pest control methods can be very effective and easy to employ. According to Ambrose “Most people don’t realize that mosquitoes lay their eggs in standing water. This is an important place to think about prevention when combating mosquito infestation.”
Therefore, targeting water spots not only helps with infestation but also mosquito reproduction as well.
- Garden.com recommends looking at removing areas where any rainwater can collect or stand.
- Some of these places include old car tires, flower pots, wading pools and tree holes.
- By organizing a neighborhood cleanup search for these trouble areas, it will help eliminate lots of potential breeding spots and improve the view for all!
According to Ambrose, “We also recommend using Mosquito Bits or Mosquito Dunks to reduce mosquito infestation. These Mosquito Bits kill fast, within 24 hours, before mosquitoes are old enough to bite.”
At a time when people are spending more to beautify their yards but less time in them, it is important that precautions like these are taken for improving our quality of living. Garden.com also recommends some long-term solutions that will encourage more time outside the home:
- A Skeeter Vac is a long term and highly effective solution for eliminating mosquitoes. Skeeter Vac's patent pending scientifically proven technology creates an atmosphere biting mosquitoes can't resist: warmth, water vapor, carbon dioxide and odorants. It finishes off the job by trapping and killing those biting pests so your outdoor experiences are safer and more enjoyable.
- Pond areas can also have excessive mosquito hatchings. Microbe Lift is an ideal supplement to protect pond areas for excessive mosquito hatchings. Check with your local mosquito control agency about availability and local regulations.
It is also important to remember that mosquitoes can affect all members of the family, which includes your pets.
- Mosquitoes can transmit canine heartworm, which is fatal to dogs once contracted.
- For protection, pet owners can purchase a preventative medicine from their veterinarian.
Ambrose states that “the trend in the U.S. is away from spraying adult mosquitoes with chemicals. Whenever possible, government health authorities control large tracts of mosquito breeding land by larviciding. They use low toxicity biopesticides like B.T.I. (Bacillius thuringiensis subspecies israelensis).
Garden.com is here to help and protect you from the health risk and annoyance that mosquitoes present. When an issue like this hits this close to home, there’s no reason not to follow some simple precautions and enjoy the summer!
For a list of products and tips that can be used for pest control prevention, go to: http://www.garden.com/insect-and-pest-control/mosquito-and-insect-control/1110/
This press release is presented without editing for your information. GRIT does not recommend, approve or endorse the products and/or services offered. You should use your own judgment and evaluate products and services carefully before deciding to purchase.