In the 2010 America's Favorite Farmers Markets contest, more than 50,000 people across the country cast their votes and told American Farmland Trust about their favorite market. The many positive comments from customers showed their appreciation about what their farmers’ markets have to offer to their communities.
Each of the 1,200 plus farmers’ markets that enrolled in the contest helps ensure that communities have farms growing and raising the delicious fresh food everyone craves. By providing consumers with a place to purchase regional foods, farmers’ markets help keep farmers on the land so they can continue to provide fresh food for America’s tables as well as community economic benefits and a place for people to gather.
American Farmland Trust thanks the farmers’ market managers and customers who made the contest happen though their participation. Throughout the campaign, thousands of people, along with bloggers and the media, were talking about the contest helping to promote farmers’ markets on both the local and national level.
The top 20 markets and their votes are listed on America’s Favorite Farmers Markets website.
The top four in each category are:
Boutique Markets (15 or fewer vendors):
1. King George Farmers Market, King George, Virginia
2. Lansdowne Farmers Market, Lansdowne, Pennsylvania
3. Glenwood Sunday Market, Chicago
4. Farmers Market at Attleboro Farms, North Attleboro, Massachusetts
Small Markets (16-30 vendors):
1. Champaign County Farmers Market, Urbana, Ohio
2. Easton Farmers Market, Easton, Pennyslvania
3. Collingswood Farmers Market, Collingswood, New Jersey
4. Purcellville Community Market, Purcellville, Virginia
Medium Markets (31-55 vendors):
1. Falls Church Farmers Market, Falls Church, Virginia
2. Historic Lewes Farmers Market, Lewes, Delaware
3. Saratoga Farmers Market, Saratoga Springs, New York
4. Peachtree Road Farmers Market, Atlanta
Large Markets (56+ vendors):
1. City of Rochester Public Market, Rochester, New York
2. Davis Farmers Market, Davis, California
3. Fulton Street Farmers Market, Grand Rapids, Michigan
4. Ballard Farmers Market, Seattle
Sponsored by the American Farmland Trust, the annual America’s Favorite Farmers Markets contest is designed to raise awareness about supporting locally produced food and producers. For more on the contest, visit the website.