Are you tired of the rat race and you wonder how can I get started with small scale farming?
More and more people are looking to get away from their high pressure jobs, and they fantasize about living the life of small scale farming. They can experience the joy of waking up in the morning, sitting down at a kitchen table and having a cup of coffee with breakfast while they look out upon their farm and garden.
The day starts, they enjoy the fresh air as they tend to their crops which grow almost by themselves as they enjoy the exercise and lifestyle of a small scale farmer.
- Have you dreamed the same dream?
- Are you ready to move to the farming lifestyle?
If you are, Do you know everything that you need to know to turn your dream of small scale farming into the life of your dreams?
- Where do you want your farm to be located?
- What will it cost for the land?
- What kind of home do you dream of?
- Do you have the experience you need to be successful?
- What does it take to be USDA Organically Certified?
- What are the options to still be an organic farm and not be USDA Certified?
- Do you know someone that has the expertise or the time to coach you ?
- Do you have a plan of action and the help you need?
As you can see, there are many aspects of small scale farming for you to consider. Keep your dream alive. Find answers for all of these questions, go for drives in the area that you would like to live and discover what others are doing to build successful, sustainable small scale farms.
Here is a list of questions that you may consider discovering about yourself before decide what you would like build for yourself.
- Do you want to have an urban farm? Yes, you can live in a city and successfully create sustainable small scale farming.
- Do you want to start from scratch or purchase a farm from someone who is looking to retire?
- Can you find a mentor to help you? Yes, either online or offline there is coaching available. We are in the process of finalizing our online membership site to help you build your dream.
- Are there any resources to help me if I want to build an Urban farm? Lots of them, and we will share some of those with you in future posts.
- How about financing? There are some available, even grants for some of your expenses, but the answer is like asking for medical advice without talking or seeing a doctor. Sorry, for you, you need more help, but we can point you in the right direction.
- How do I know which way to go, how much do I have to research before starting the journey to my dream life? The answer is in you, one of the joys of the sustainable lifestyle of farming/gardening or raising fish, is learning to be fluid and your willingness to learn
My recommendation is for you to actively search and learn what lifestyle is truly going to become your dream life. Get a mentor, join an online community, go to a few webinars. But one of the best things you can do, is to be active in taking the action needed to become the person that can live the lifestyle that you want to live.
I have lived and worked on farms and ranches. If you can, sign up for an apprenticeship. Nothing works better to learn then to help someone else with their dream. But do not lose site of yours.
Turning Your Dreams Into The Life Of Your Dreams
Chris Downs -------------------------------The Caretaker